MHF Show Notes - Episode 13
MHF Hosts: Nate, Zyola, Doug, Mike
Editor's Note: I managed to call Jack Hodgson from the UCAP podcast a whole new name, 2+ hours of audio with serious Skype problems gets chopped down to about an hour after all the editing nightmares (thus the episode name!), and we apologize for how bad Zyola's audio sounds in this episode -- Skype was seriously having a bad hair day.
Another note - 79M flies at 45 knots, not 35! I knew this flying her, but said 35 in the recording. Sigh...
Who's been or is going flying? What have we been up to?
- Attending the Colorado Avalanche game with his kids.
- Received my Scheyden glasses with my RX lenses and they rock. The clarity is unreal.
- Sat in a Kitfox IV in Missoula MT last week, weather was too bad to go up. Also looked at a Zenith Aircraft STOL CH750 that is under construction, and we are about 95% sure it is what we want to build. SO I ordered and received the info pack on it. Now I just need get a ride in one.
- I have scheduled a tour of Zenith Aircraft in Mexico, MO and weather permitting a ride in a CH 750
- We are Cleaning and organizing garage and tools in preparation of building an airplane.
- We had breakfast with instructor this morning and the Tomahawk N9916T should be back on line in a week or so. April is full for me planning to start up training again in may. Although once it is up I will be flying some.
- Night currency in 79M after last show taping. 9 landings, all pretty good. Practiced different types.
- Been ultra-busy with CAP training, flew as Safety Pilot for another CAP member on Saturday, will participate in Squadron SAREX next week.
- Oshkosh planning meeting with "Captain Barry" on April 11th, one of the other owners in 79M, we'll be attending the Cessnas2Oshkosh training session at KFNL on May 8th, and we're registered and on the list to join the Cessna mass arrival at Oshkosh on the Saturday prior to the show! Capt. Barry has "seniority" so he'll be PIC for the arrival at OSH, I'll be PIC for the departure on whatever day we leave, if all goes as planned.
- Tried "Robertson Method" takeoffs in 79M yesterday. Freight elevator!
Spencer Burkhardt, student at AIMS Community College in Greeley, CO (KGXY).
Regional/National Aviation News
- www.1940swwiiball.org - 1940's Ball w/ proceeds to Wings over the Rockies
Aviation News we've heard about
- IMC Clubs - www.imcclubs.org: Instrument pilots forming clubs and challenging themselves to stay current via Instrument flying activities, nationwide.
- Doug was talking about racing LSA's on Twitter. AirVentureCup.com has an LSA class for those wishing to RACE to Oshkosh! Open to all Experimental Category aircraft. Mitchell, SD to Oshkosh, WI. July 25th, 2010 - cool video on their website.
- EAA Adds Night airshow to Oshkosh schedule on Saturday night.
Shoutouts & Thank You's
- Thanks Brian at Scheyden for the excellent customer service working with me on my glasses. Thanks to Chuck in Missoula MT for showing me his kitfox and introducing me to Steve who showed me his CH750 and talked with me about what is like to build it this far.
- Apologies to Quality Sport Planes LLC I was going to visit them on a biz trip to California for a flight in a CH701 but the customer I was going to visit canceled.
- Hangar 49's Podcast feed://hangar49.libsyn.com/rss
- Thanks to Greg my instructor for being so patient and good to me.
- EAA chapter in MN with low time 0200 for sale. O-200A Continental Engine
Reaching Across the Fence
- May 15th 2010 is this year's International "Learn to Fly" day! Plan to introduce someone to flying and get them up on an introductory flight at your favorite FBO that day! Free tickets and information about participating local flight schools is at www.learntoflyday.com!
- Nate put out a Tweet/Facebook posting recently offering to take anyone for a ride in 79M who wanted to do it in the local area. A number of folks have responded and now he's trying to figure out how to schedule them all in! We should all do this when we can... many people are out there who've never been up in a light aircraft who would really enjoy the experience, and simply have no idea that a Private Pilot can take them up, anytime! Recommend that you create a "passenger checklist" for them, something to send them ahead of time, and a "safety card"... just like the airlines, for your airplane. Keep it safe, keep it legal (You ARE current to fly passengers, aren't you? Have you done your appropriate number of takeoffs/landings and do you feel like your skills are at least to Private Pilot PTS standards? Are you willing to cancel if you don't like the outcome of an IMSAFE checklist?)... and go fly some folks around!
Ninety-Nines, Inc., July 5-9, 2010 in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i
Air Race Classic, "Racing the Wind," July 22-25, 2010, From Fort Meyers, FL to Frederick, MD
OSH2010, July 26-August 1, 2010 in Oshkosh, WI
Cleared to Taxi to Parking
Doug @dhindmanjr on Twitter www.twitter.com/dhindmanjr
Zyola @Supovadea, on Twitter, My Blog, MyTransponder, Girls With Wings, just Google Supovadea
Mike @Mike_Flys on Twitter, http://mike-daniels.blogspot.com, MJD on MyTransponder
Nate @denverpilot on Twitter, MyTransponder, Facebook and the world
@MileHighFlyers on Twitter
email the crew at MHF@milehighflyers.com
Always Check Density Altitude!